Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 5

Day 5 and now no power! We were snorkeling all day and came back to land just to find out there is no power in the whole country as of now! We were asking around and they said it wasn’t a common thing to happen. That made us pretty nervous. They also said to stay inside and be very careful because crime gets pretty bad when stuff like this happens. Enough about the negatives, today was awesome!!!! Lou took us out to Mexico Rocks. It was about 10 feet deep with beautiful coral and fish. It was like something you see on tv! I got lots of pictures underwater… just haven’t figured out how to get them on my computer yet. He took us over to a shallow area after. The sea grass was very tall. We saw a stingray over there. It was pretty neat. After all of this he said we were going “fishing”. I was thinking fishing with a pole, but he informed me we were going to jump off the boat and grabbed conchs. I never really though about those big pretty shells actually having life inside of them. His friend and a few of the girls jumped off and actually got about 9 of them. (I threw one back when he wasn’t looking because he said it was a baby one… shhhh!) After we were through he took us back to his house where he pulled all of the conchs out and prepared them. There was a little spaghetti-like muscle he pulled out of each one that his daughter was eager too eat. Yuck! Everyone tried a bite of it, besides me. By the time he cut everything off there was a small pieces of meat. He brought them all in to his wife who made them into something we could eat… without actually cooking them. I was feeling brave and had a bite. Yes, I actually ate a raw sea creature! Don’t worry it was documented! Lou also took us on a tour of a lagoon area. It was gorgeous! I tool tons of pictures. The water is so clear here we saw huge fish, crabs, and another stingray. There was a lot of pollution too, which he said was from a hurricane. To top off an eventful day, we saw a shark by a pier at the shore while we were walking home. It was a small one, but it was right up on the shore! The only shark I’ve ever seen in real life!

1 comment: