Monday, April 19, 2010

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)


Today I was asked to teach penmanship. This is definitely not my strongest suit. These kids probably have neater handwriting than I do. Regardless, I was willing to give it a shot. Then I was told they were doing cursive and that they know all of the letters, but I would need to write sentences in cursive that they could copy. Sounds simple right? I haven’t written in cursive since I was about their age! Rather than embarrass myself and say I didn’t remember how, I trusted my memory (and my strong ability to wing things at this point) and just did it. I must say I was impressed. I remembered a lot more than I though, and there was a poster of the cursive alphabet on the wall that I was able to look at to refresh my memory. The kids on the other hand didn’t know how to write all of them like I was told they did. When asking for assistance they were scolded and told that they should already know how to write that letter, instead of being shown how. I did my best not to step on any toes, but provide them with the extra support they needed. To top it off they all were telling me what beautiful handwriting I had, something I've never once been told in my life! They're just too much. It was an interesting day to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment