Saturday, April 10, 2010

Welcome to the jungle

This week’s blog is about privilege. I’ve never realized just how privileged I am. I was given an education without having to pay for it (with the exception of college). I have a family to go home to who supports everything I do. I think everyone seems to take their privileges for granted because they don’t even realize they are privileges. To start off with I’m talking down to bathing. Considering the week we’ve had. I’ve never thought of bathing as a privilege but I will never take it for granted after this week! I had to go 4 days without showering. Having air conditioning is also a great privilege. I know these aren’t the most important things, but they are things that are taken for granted back home and you don’t realize how nice they are until they’re gone. Having a nice place to sleep is also taken for granted. Not only have I thought about this while I’ve been here (and while sleeping in a screened bunkhouse in the jungle... hence the title of this post), but also while volunteering at the homeless shelter back home. Seeing people put in a lottery just to find out they have to sleep on the street was heartbreaking. Regardless of the privilege, it should never be taken for granted. This trip has definitely taught me that, along with a world of other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment