Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Time is of the essence...... or is it?

I’ve been teaching perimeter in math for a week now so I was asked to prepare a test for them. I told them about it on Friday so they would have the weekend along with the past few days to study for it. They have been doing well considering they had never even heard the word until a week ago. The main problem they had was with the addition, not actually how to find the perimeter. I’ve been using single digit numbers so I could see if they understood the concept and it was the addition that was tripping them up. Of course, it was. Supposedly they are able to add double digits, fractions, and mixed numbers, but I find that’s not the case. The teacher hasn’t said anything about me using single-digit numbers, so I’ve just stuck with it to allow them to practice perimeter. The test went well. They had a lot of questions, but at this point I’ve realized it is more of a battle for my attention than actually needing me to explain the questions, which are very straightforward. I’ve found ways to avoid that through my days hear thankfully! After getting them all quiet they finished their tests on time for once! This is a big deal because nothing seems to be on time here. Most of them did excellent with the exception of about 3, who actually did the best during our class activities. I’ve found it was laziness and not paying attention to what they were reading. Which is normally the case with them because they are racing to be the first one done. I have told them, as I’m sure their teacher has, time and time again to take their time and read carefully because it is more important that they do the work right, not to be the first done. I have got to find something to get this point across to them before I leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment