Thursday, April 22, 2010

one more night, give me just one more night

This amazing experience is actually coming to and end and I'm not so sure how I feel about that! I'm very excited to see everyone back home, but I'm extremely sad to leave this place. At least I'll have the memories. This is the most incredible thing I've ever experienced. Actually going to a country completely unknown to me and just diving in. I've learned more in the past 5 weeks than I could have ever hoped for. I really wish it would have lasted longer but I'm so grateful for the time I had. In relation to teaching it has been a very different experience than back home. I was uncomfortable at first back home because everything was new to me. I learned a lot from my teacher as well as the students. I had a lot to plan around for structure. Here seems to be almost the complete opposite. I am bringing all of that to them. I have been able to share with my teacher here all that I learned back home. There is not much structure to anything here. So when asked to teach something I literally have no frame. It has allowed me to be very creative in planning. It amazes me because if this were to happen a couple months ago I would probably panic and not know where to start, but here I have actually enjoyed it. I have become very good at coming up with things spur of the moment, and finding fun activities to teach things. They are very direct instruction here. Writing notes and having them copy for much of their day. It was so rewarding to be able to make instruction more interesting for them and have them actually appreciate it. They told me numerous times how much they liked when I taught. That was satisfaction in itself. It i incredible to me how close I've become to all of these students in my short time here. I'm going to miss them more than I can explain. Along with this island! I feel like I'm leaving a part of me behind. I knew this trip would change me, but I had no idea just what I was in for. I think the best decision I ever made was signing up to come here. I know this blog couldn't do this experience justice, but hopefully I have shared a little bit of the impact it made on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment